Parent Information About School Procedures
School Closing Information:
Barber National Institute's Elizabeth Lee Black School programs will be ordered closed only in the event of a declared city-wide emergency or if prevailing weather conditions are considered so severe as to place children en route to schools in a clearly dangerous or unhealthy situation.
These conditions include:
- Whenever Erie School District is closed
- Impassable streets and/or sidewalks
- Extreme cold temperatures and/or gale-like winds
- Loss of utilities to school
If school is closed:
- Students, teachers, assistants will not report
- All twelve month employees will report
- Happy Hearts Childcare will be open (only closes when entire Institute closes)
- All Institute activities will be canceled the day of the closing.
- Days missed due to inclement weather will be rescheduled and you will be sent an updated calendar.
- Parents are advised to use discretion in sending children to school, if they think weather conditions necessitate it. In such cases, absences will be excused absences.
- School will not be dismissed early due to inclement weather except in the case of a declared city-wide emergency.
- If schools are dismissed early due to emergency conditions, all employees will remain at work to assist children.
- Whenever the Erie School District is closed, the Elizabeth Lee Black School will also be closed.